There is one thing that makes the restaurant industry so interesting?
The rapid change in nature…it can be anything in the form of technology, customer preferences, marketing trends or anything.
We have seen a massive change in the industry, there is a huge focus on online ordering systems, implementation of AI (Artificial intelligence) in restaurants, cloud-based CRM systems and food and inventory management techniques and many more.
2019, is about to end! If things going well it’s good but if this year went little messy – no worry it happens in business! Now it’s time to compensate by making this new year a grad success for your business.
Related Read – 13 Simple yet Creative New year Restaurant Promotion Ideas
Now you need to be prepared for 2020, here we compiled a list of 31 restaurant statistics from reports, studies, and articles across the internet that cover the crucial stats of the industry.
General Restaurant Industry Statistics –
1. There are 7 million employees in the restaurant industry.(Source)
2. The industry employs 15.3 million workers and continues to be the country’s second-largest private-sector employer. By 2029, the industry will have added 1.6 million new restaurant jobs. (Source)
3. Approximately half of the restaurant operators surveyed say their business is stronger than it was two years ago.
4. Table service restaurants make more than $263 billion in sales annually. (Source)
5. 65% of restaurant guests prefer to control how much they tip, as opposed to adopting auto-gratuities or the tip-free movement.
6. 8 in 10 restaurant owners started their industry careers in entry-level positions. (Source)
Restaurant Technology Statistics helpful for 2020
1. 95% of restaurateurs agree that technology improves business efficiency. (Source)
2. Over 80% of restaurants are adopting technology—like online ordering, reservation, inventory apps, and restaurant analytics more than ever to help them make the restaurant business successful and efficient.
3. After POS technology and payment processing, the most popular back-office technologies were accounting software (52%, up from 31% in 2018) and payroll software (50%, up from 28% in 2018). (Source)
4. As per the study, there is 2008, 88% of restaurant business prefer on-premise CRM and Cloud-based CRM was used by 12% only. (Source)
5. 73% of diners agree that restaurant technology improves their guest experience.
6. The best features restaurateurs expect in a restaurant POS upgrade are ease of use, depth of reporting, and inventory reporting.
Restaurant Consumer Statistics
1. 72% of diners say high-quality food is the top factor that goes into selecting a restaurant to visit.
2. 35% of diners said they are influenced by online reviews when choosing a restaurant.
3. After having a positive experience with a company, 77% of customers would recommend it to a friend. (Source)
4. Almost 90% of customers said they would be more likely to choose a restaurants that responds to reviews, while nearly 80% believe responses should be personalized. (Source)
5. Restaurant reviews left on star-rating platforms including Yelp, Google and TripAdvisor impact customer judgments more than any other industry.
6. 50% of customers still want printed receipts, but 36% are happy with digital receipts – and 14% don’t want a receipt at all. (Source)
Restaurant Social media Statistics
1. 75% of consumers use Facebook to decide a restaurant to eat out (Source)
2. 93% of consumers admit that online restaurant reviews influence their decisions (Source)
3. Tweets with images get 18% more clicks, 89% more favourites, and 150% more retweets. (Source)
4. The best time for a restaurant (or bar) to post on Instagram is 9 AM, between noon and 1 PM, and 8 PM.
5. 1 in 8 diners will post an online restaurant review after the meal.
6. Customers in the restaurant are more likely to leave high ratings on Facebook than on any other review site. (Source)
7. Only 3% of the content is a video, but videos get the highest rate of engagement (Source).
8. A New York restaurant named Springbone gets around 5% of new customers a day through Instagram influencer marketing (Source).
9. Posting mouth-watering food create more engagement because the brain processes visuals 60,000 times faster than text (Business 2 Community).
10. Most common platform for restaurant marketing & advertising in 2017 is social media and is utilized by 75% of restaurateurs. (Source)
Related Read – Social Media Marketing Tips for Restaurants
Restaurant food statistics –
1. In 1955, the restaurant industry comprised 25% of the family food dollar. In 2019, that number rose to 51%. (Source)
2. 31% of restaurateurs update their menu on a monthly basis. 24% do it seasonally. (Source)
3. 55% of diner say they would love to order breakfast items at any time if they were offered.
Related Read – 13 Simplest & Creative New Year Restaurant Promotional Ideas
So these are some useful restaurant industry statistics and trends that will surely help you to empower business planning in 2020. Hope you would like it. If you want to add anything, let us know in the comment section.